Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Monday, February 3, 1936 - A Hair-Do, Dice, and Sweet Popcorn

 


"Mother went down to get her hair curled.  She said I could get mine curled in spring.  I went down to Aunt Elsie's.  I played dice with Mother and Daddy.  Jack poped corn and put sugar on the corn because he liked it sweet.  We had a half a hour noon at school.  We get out a half a hour earlier."


I remember my Grandmother Robbins (Jeanne - Bob's wife), who was a beautician, talk about how perms were done in the old days, with electric curlers, each one of which was wired.  Sometimes hair would burn.  I imagine it would also be dangerous, with the possibility of electric shock if there was a short.  The price of beauty!

2 comments:

  1. I remember having short lunch during the winter, when it warmed up we had long lunch and you could go home for lunch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I've always only had the same length for lunch periods in school. We had open campus at high school, but I couldn't go home, since we lived 10 miles away and I took the bus. But we could go to McDonald's, which was the only fast food place in Colville at the time.

    ReplyDelete